Saturday, February 8, 2014

Back Injury- My Personal Setback

Here I sit, February 8th, thinking of all that I wanted to do in 2014. This was supposed to be the year I proved my worth on the local scene in running. I had put in the miles, did the training, and was mentally prepared to really go all out. And then January 30th rolled around and ended my running for the next six weeks. While I don't know how this exactly happened, here is what I do know.

After working a hard shift at work, I came home and went for a descent run in the snow and ice. When I woke up to get ready for work, the pain was there. I didn't feel any pain at all while working, nor did I feel any pain while running. This is why I cannot answer how or what happened when people ask. I simply do not know. I didn't think much of it and went ahead like this was a normal night. I figured it was tight muscles due to a heavy night at work, or possibly from sliding and slipping on the ice while running. But as the next few days came and went, the pain worsened.

On February 5th, my wife convinced me to go to the ER at the hospital. I was in a lot of pain at this point and didn't hesitate to go. After running some tests, as well as x-rays, they concluded that I had a herniated disc in my lower back. The medicine they gave me worked somewhat, yet the pain was still very noticeable. I was told to take it easy and set up an appointment with my doctor as soon as possible. On Friday the 7th, I found out the real news. None of which is good.

Not only do I have a herniated disc, there is a mild convex and left curvature to the lumbar spine, which could mean a possible slight case of Scoliosis. There is also some mild degenerative disc disease present at T12 - L1 and L1-L2. As well as mild degenerative changes of the lumbar spine and lower thoracic spine. In layman's terms: my back is a train wreck from the middle to the bottom of my tail bone, or the coccyx region. More medicine was given to help with the pain and more instructions were given. And this time I will listen and follow.

The main instruction was to take it easy so the pain will subside. So NO running at all for the next 6 weeks. I am to follow up with them in 1 to 2 weeks to let them know how I feel. If I am still in pain the next level will be taken....whatever that means. Quite honestly, I am afraid to ask. That's it in a nutshell. No running for a runner. The death sentence, if you will. I just hope when this is all done I can still log long miles. Thank you to all who have wished me well and mentioned me with kind words. Have a great day......

2 comments:

Josh Sprague said...

Doh! That sucks man, I hope you get better soon!

Ray J Jr said...

Thanks, Josh! Hoping to heal fast and bang out a great summer of running.