Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Energybits Are "It"



At the beginning of September I was on Twitter accepting new friends/followers. A company that I had never heard of followed me and asked me if I would like to try a "sample" of their product, "Energybits." Having no idea at the time on what that actually was, I jumped at the chance and said yes. The only thing they asked from me was to review their product and give my own personal feedback, whether good or bad, on my blog.

From that moment on, I wanted to find out everything I could about Energybits as a Company. And since I am a long distance runner who likes to run for hours at a time, I wanted to see how this product could help me. On the business end, I was very lucky to have corresponded with Jonathan Levitt. Jonathan is their Brand Manager for Pro Sports, and just so everyone knows, he is excellent with answering any and all questions you may have.

Energybits are 100% raw, 100% green, 100% nutrition from 100% spirulina algae. You just can't get any simpler than that. Unlike performance drinks, gels, and supplements, Energybits contain no artificial flavors or colors. Even better, they contain no caffeine or sugar. That means NO crash!! On their website they state that "Each tab is loaded with 40 vitamins and minerals but just ONE calorie so there are no unnecessary calories – just pure nutrition and protein." And they are right. Each little green tab (about the size of tic tac) is loaded with protein, 64%!!

I received my package last week and waited until this past Sunday to use them. I mapped out a open road run that consisted of flat roads, inclines, and rolling hills. The total distance would be 20.55 miles and would have my feet touch in three different States. I won't lie to you, when I opened the tin with roughly 50 tablets in there, it smelled like...poop. It reminded me of a back country road and the smell of cow poop. I do like how they let you know that is an "acquired taste." I am not man enough to chew 30 tablets up so I broke them down to 5 tabs a pop and downed them with water. You would think 30 tabs are a lot but it really wasn't bad at all. Plus there was no lingering aftertaste so I was stoked about that.



I really didn't have high hopes for this run for a few reasons. One being that I just didn't want to run that far. Two, the change with Fall brought my allergies back and I just felt worn out. The first 45 minutes I struggled with my allergies and my breathing. Luckily my lungs and nose opened and I could breathe again. I told myself that I would take it easy and "run on feel." I was worried because I ran a 27 miler a week or so prior to this long run and by 13 miles, I was spent. I took walk breaks and my mind was in all different directions. I just plain struggled to keep going. I really hated that run. I didn't want this run to be that way. I know training has a big part with long distance running, however, what you take helps as well. Seven miles into Sundays run and I was dropping sub 8:00 minute pace...and felt GREAT! I was loving life and my mind was where it needed to be, on the run. Ten miles in and I had to keep telling myself to slow down. The only time I walked was when I would take a drink of my water and snap a photo.



I just kept waiting to fall apart because, to tell you the truth, I was overly skeptical of this product. Even after all of the glowing reviews of spirulina algae and Energybits, I still couldn't believe it 100%. After logging 20.55 miles at an overall pace of 8:44 per mile, then feeling...NO...knowing I could nail another 10 to 15 miles easy, I am a firm believer in this product and what this company has to offer. Something I also realized was there was no fatigue in my muscles. The long run before this one I suffered for days. My legs hurt and I was cramping something awful. After I got done on Sunday I kept telling my wife how great I felt. I even shook my legs and smacked my quads to prove it to her. The next day I awoke to no stiffness and no cramping. I attribute this to Energybits.

I can't really think of any downsides to this product. The cost is a little steep but it is worth it. At one point you could only buy the bag of 1000 at $115.00. Now you can go to their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/energybits and order what they call, "Sampler packs." These tins are more affordable and yet still give you plenty of tabs. For example, you can buy a tin of 250 tablets for $35.00. That's roughly a little over 8 servings. Sounds a lot better than $115.00 for sure! While researching Energybits, I came across the same question over and over. That was, "Why do they cost so much, it's just algae?" I had read a reply from Jonathan on another blog which totally answered that question. His reply was: "The short answer is, similar to how there are different priced cuts of meat, there are different priced types of algae. Ours is the best of the best, and is 100% algae with no fillers. It’s grown in Taiwan, not China or Japan (where standards and contaminated water are unhealthy and unsafe issues). And our chlorella’s cell wall is cracked (necessary to make use of the nutrients) in a way that is safe. We use sound waves to crack the cell wall – many other companies tumble it with glass beads which lead to lead poisoning… so you need MORE chlorella to help remove the toxins from your body!"


I posted a photo above that shows you what you need to know, or what you may be wondering. I am in no way a science buff. I know nothing on how spirulina algae works or how Energybits work. I do love the fact the spirulina algae is a real food and not a supplement. I don't have to worry about what I am putting into my body before I run. That is great news because anyone who really knows me knows that I love junk food. Energybits is a great way for me to GET healthier. Plus it's something I can eat anytime I want. It's a great way to add energy, endurance, stamina, mental focus, and as mentioned earlier, high quality protein. Another great thing is that it can help with lowering your blood pressure...naturally! Simply put, I'm sold! So sold that I already purchased my container for my upcoming training for a 100 miler and 24 hour race in 2013.

I warned Jonathan that I stink at writing blogs prior to getting my sample pack. But at the same time, I wanted to show my appreciation for the countless emails that were sent to me to inform me on the great benefits of their product. As well as telling my "story" on how they helped. I am just one person so I can't say how they will work for you, or if they will. What I can say is that you SHOULD try them because they are worth it. If you need exact and precise information, you should contact them at: www.energybits.com They will help you with any questions that you may have. You can also find them at: www.twitter.com/ENERGYbits Thanks for listening and hope this small review helps someone out there.

I would like to add that this review was my own. I received no money, no product, and was not endorsed in any way possible by Energybits. For all of my running friends out there, stay away from the 5-Hour Energy shots, Monster Energy drink, and Red Bull. That's an artificial "high" that will bring you down hard. Try Energybits! Contact them to see about getting a single serving sampler. You will not regret it!

Thanks....and happy eating!

3 comments:

Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) said...

VERY intriguing, Ray. I have never heard of them before and their website has a lot of good info. I have such a hard time spending, $115 on something that may work for me...hmm. I will think about it and start following them on Twitter and such.

Ray said...

Hey Jessica!! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment! They have a FB page where you can buy a container for $35.00 (250 tabs). It's a bargain for what it does.

Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) said...

Awesome! I will check it out! THAT I am willing to risk/try.