Thursday, April 2, 2009

Running Week--3-30--4-05-2009

Monday: South End of Town
Distance: 5 Miles--Easy Recovery--No Time
Weather: 50 Degrees With 30-40 mph Wind Gusts

After my 20 mile run yesterday and with the win gusts so bad today, I decided to just take it easy and do a easy recovery run. With a little over two weeks to go until the Mountain Maryland Marathon it's time to start doing a little taper. I have a plan to run about 60-65 miles this week. I am going to do a good bit of slower stuff in the 8 minute plus range. I also have a planned workout on Thursday.
.............................................................................
Tuesday: C&O Canal (Morning)--South End (Evening)
(AM) Distance: 6 Miles--52:45
(PM) Distance: 4 Miles--No Time--Easy Run
Total Distance: 10 Miles

Weather: 55 Degrees With Light Winds

The morning run was an easy 6 miles on the Canal. I would have liked to have run a little faster but my allergies have gotten the best of me over the past few days. I just felt drained and loopy. After I got home I took a Zyrtec D and that made the allergie go away some. But that made me feel like I was out of my head all together. You just can't win for losing. My evening run was around the South End of Town and was easy. One thing I didn't want to do was go out blazing and have that pill make me sick somehow. It was still a good run, just not super fast.
.............................................................................
Wednesday Rose Hill-Rt.65-Poffenberger-Rt.40-Funkstown
(AM) Distance: 10.60 Miles--1:33:00--8:47 Pace
(PM) Distance: 2.5 Miles
--No Time--Easy Jog-Run
Total Distance: 13.1 Miles
Weather: 62 Degrees With 17 mph Winds

I made the mistake today of not really stretching before I started my run. I never really do much but I always try to stretch my calves. About 2 miles in to the run I could feel some tightness. It eventually worked itself out and the pace picked up somewhat. This run has some really good hills and some inclines. Most runners I know hate hills but I think they work wonders. When I run with my buddy I thrive on passing him going up a hard hill, it makes me feel good. That's what I did today. After he cramped up around 7 miles in I just kept going. I hit the big hill in Funkstown like it was flat and cruised. I got a little over a half mile on him. But as I noticed him coming into a development as I was coming out I chased him down. His pace was slow but I stayed with him. I am hoping to run a little quicker tomorrow, maybe push him some. Nothing major, maybe just a 8:20 pace.
...............................................................................
Thursday: North End & South End--West End & South End
(AM) Distance: 10.20 Miles--1:31:55--9:00 Pace
(PM) Distance: 7 Miles--No Time--Casual Run
Total Distance: 17.20 Miles

Weather: 66 Degrees With Showers In The Afternoon

The morning run was a good one, but only because of the weather. The actual run was too slow. We were at a little over 8:00 pace on the first mile and then without reason the pace slowed fast. I don't know what happened but it needs to stop. I am going to take tomorrow off and rest up some because I haven't taken a day off in over a week. Saturday morning I am going to go out and run some solo miles and then run with my friend later in the day. I plan to go 4 solo and run around 7:30 to 7:40 pace. My evening run was solo and I didn't time it. I just ran easy. With the Mountain MD Marathon coming up on the 19th I want to get some speed in to test the pace I want to try and run. I am a little down that we ran a 9:00 pace, thats just to slow.
................................................................................
Friday: Off Day
................................................................................
Saturday: 1st St-Willow Circle-Town-City Park-Summit-MD Ave
(PM) Distance: 8.10 Miles--1:08:15--8:25 Pace
Cool Down: .90 Mile
Total Distance: 9 Miles

Weather: 61 Degrees--30 mph Winds With 40+ mph Gusts (47mph Peak Gust)

With a longer harder run scheduled for tomorrow, today was just a quick 8.10 miles. I didn't let up as we ran and kept the pace moving after Thursday's slow run. I believe we could have went faster but we were fighting some strong winds out there today. The peak gust was 47 mph today and the sustained winds were 30 plus mph. We fought alot of cross winds on this run and some direct as well. I'd say total, we only had about 3/4 of a mile with the wind at our backs. Tomorrow's run will be on the course that we are going to do the Mountain MD Marathon on. The elevation gain for the first 13 miles is 1,100 feet. That's what we are going to do to see how it feels. I am hoping that I can push my friend to run 8:30 pace with an 8:00 mile thrown in here and there. With tomorrow's run and a few miles after I get back to town I should be at 70 miles for the week. I plan to drop to 60 next week. The week of the race I should be around 50 with the Marathon included. From there I want to start getting back to 80 a week to see how that feels.
...............................................................................
Sunday: Alleghany Bike Trail-Cumberland,Maryland
(AM) Distance: 12 Miles--1:38:00--8:10 Pace
(PM) Distance: 2 Miles
Total Distance: 14 Miles

Weather: 65 Degrees With Light Wind

We took a drive up to Cumberland to preview the first half of the Mountain MD Marathon today. We dropped one vehicle up near the turn around and drove back down near the start. We stayed off the busy part of the road and started near the Narrows Bridge. We ran a backroad up to Dakota Street, which is a street we have to run. It's a 150 meter super steep incline. We came off that and turned right onto the Bike Path. It was brutal just looking at where we were headed. It was uphill for as far as the eye could see. We knocked off the first mile in 8:10...I went about 7:50 because I made a pit stop to look at a pretty tree..The next 7 miles were in the low 8's to 8:25 per mile. My running cohorts started slowing so I picked up my own pace and left them. I hit the turn around and came back to where the car was parked. I ended up at a 8:10 pace overall, which makes me happy. I didn't push it too hard so come race day I hope to run 7:45 up and maybe 7:00 to 7:10 down. The run itself was brutal. It was around 1,100 feet of climbing, about 10 miles worth of uphill. They think I may be able to go Top 10 in the Marathon if I run the right race...We'll see...

Total Miles This Week: 68.3
Total Miles This Year: 742.53

No comments: